Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year!

Welcome back in 2016. I hope you are fine and made it injury-free into 2016.

Back into the lab, this post probes the suitability of blogger.com for developers. We first need some way of presenting code; preferably with a monospaced font and gray-backgrounded:

>>> print('Hello New Year')
Hello New Year


Well, that'll work for now. Syntax highlighting would be great as well and here is a SO thread pointing me in the right direction. However, as long as the pain isn't too much, I think I will stick to the good ol'Courier and gray background.

Built-in (i.e. bloody simple) unordered and ordered lists are possible which makes things like conclusions and guidelines easy to author. Additionally, they gave me pictures and videos as well as bold, italic and underlined text out of the box and with keyboard shortcuts (ctrl+B/I/U).

DateWeather
2012-01-01Snow
2012-01-02Snow
2012-01-03Rain

Given the ability to modify the HTML+CSS of this post directly complex stuff like styled tables are possible as well. I noticed that as soon as I added the table in HTML, I can modify it's content in the "Edit" tab. Neat! So, presenting some interesting data is within reach of this blog. Check.

The simplicity of setting up a new blog on blogger.com makes it a great tool for sharing opinions and ideas across the world. So, for now I don't see me pushing some boundaries on blogger.com. Let's see how long that lasts. ;)

Best,
Sven

UPDATE:
I found out in preparation of another post that it's wiser to use the <pre>-tag instead of Courier because of some weird line spacings.

No comments:

Post a Comment